Stanford University's Office of Science Outreach (OSO) encourages and assists Stanford faculty to engage in science outreach -- organized activities targeted at our nation's youth, school teachers, and general public that will increase their interest, understanding, and involvement in math, science, and engineering.
Reporting to Stanford's Dean of Research, the OSO serves faculty throughout the University by helping them create outreach project ideas and proposals, identifying potential partners for them (both within Stanford as well as K-14 schools, science museums, etc), and facilitating information and resource sharing among all of the University's science outreach programs. In addition, the OSO directs several programs in which Stanford faculty and their students can participate. These include:
- An 8-week summer research fellowship program for science teachers
- RISE, a 7-week summer internship program for high school students
- Events and programs for undergraduates from other colleges to learn about research in Stanford labs
- Visits to the Stanford campus by K-12 student groups
- Participation in the Bay Area Science Festival